Circle of Food Allergic Families
Founded in June 2004, COFAF is a volunteer parent-run support group that serves hundreds of families with children who suffer from food allergy and/or eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorders. COFAF is based out of Oakland County but reaches hundreds of families from all over the greater-metropolitan Detroit area. We support each other in many ways: parent meetings, family fun events, guest speakers, product discounts, newsletters, advocacy and so much more.
- To support families as they face the daily challenges of managing food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
- To share ideas and tips with our members.
- To continue to be educated on allergy issues and share this information with its members.
- To work together to raise awareness within our community and educate those around us.
Have you or your child just been diagnosed with food allergy? Here are some tips on getting started:
- Work with a pediatric board certified allergist (visit www.aaaai.org to find one).
- Devise a Food Allergy Action Plan with your child's allergist to help you in the event of a reaction.
-Carry 2 epinephrine auto-injectors as prescribed by physician (EpiPen® and EpiPen, Jr.®, Auvi-Q or Adrenaclick are currently available on the market).
- Carry Benedryl® (or another antihistamine as prescribed by physician)
- Consider obtaining a MedicAlert® bracelet and wear it at all times.
- Educate family, friends, caregivers, teachers and of course, yourself about food allergies by reviewing this website. Also, consider coming to a COFAF Meeting.